Thursday, January 14, 2010

Salem, Massachusetts in October - Must See! Must Do!



If you are anywhere near Massachusetts in the Fall, there are enough reasons to visit Salem to place it on the list of 100 things to do before you die.  If you are on a New York City break, or simply in the New England area Boston is not far, and Salem is a short 30 minutes north of Boston.

Going to Salem was on my top 5 list years ago.  So I moved here, and now I run large events each October.  It is still on my top 5 list 10 years later.

Reasons to come to Salem in October:  1)  This may be the only place in the world where Halloween is a month long holiday!  2) Salem is in the heart of the world's most beautiful Fall foliage, and it peaks in the third week of October typically.  3)  American's origins explode in visual history across our city, and not only in reference to the Witch Trials of 1692-1693.  4)  For people who love old architecture Salem is a feast for the eyes. There is a reason that Salem is the second most popular tourist location in Massachusetts after Boston.


Salem has great restaurants and a wildly active schedule of fun things to do each October.  The events cover its history, simple Halloween shenanigans, fun albeit sometimes kitschy shopping (but who can resist the occasional fun kitsch?!), and spiritual experiences for the spiritually adventurous.

Despite its deserved reputation for being the Witchcity it is a fantastic place to bring your children.  October is filled with family friendly events.  From the first Thursday of the month when the Halloween Parade begins the season, to the 31st when 100,000 people might descend upon this city of 40,000 Salem is an October visitors feast of the imagination.

If you can't make it on October - don't worry, anytime is fine to come to Salem.  I like this place so much I moved here, and after 10 years my heart still considers this home, and the most interesting place I have ever lived.  If you make it here be sure to come and say hi.

It was high on my list of 1,000 things to do before I die, and I can scratch it off as accomplished.  I live here now.

2 comments:

  1. I spent the past 3-4 years promoting the region (Essex County) for my job and have always a huge fan of Halloween. Even without being paid to say so, I think Salem is wonderful place year-round. Many artists, great events, fascinating history and architecture, yummy food. Glad you can check that off your list and revel in it everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Spotty Dog Person (Like your blog), it is a great place to live indeed. Post me if you visit.

    ReplyDelete