Monday, March 15, 2010

#15 The Passion Play at Oberammergau

I first heard about this town in Germany, which performs the Passion Play about the crucifixion of Christ once every 10 years, and has been doing so for hundreds of years when I was in junior high.  Since that time I have wanted to go to Oberammergau.

This year marks the 40th running of the Passion Play.  In 1633 the town made a vow to God.  They would perform the Passion of the Christ once every ten years if they would be spared from the ravages of the bubonic plague.  The town was spared, and they have been performing the Passion Play every ten years for almost 400 with breaks, which occurred only for wars.  From May through September the Passion Play is performed daily, and is viewed by half a million people.  There will be 110 performances in 2010.

I am not sure if I will make this decade's performances, but Oberammergau is a miracle story - and not the least of the miracle being that they kept their promise for 400 years.  This puts the Passion Play at Oberammergau high on my list of things to do before I die.

No comments:

Post a Comment